Recommended Linux Distribution for Current Mandriva 2011.0 User

Thomas Milne thomas.bruce.milne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri May 10 22:14:04 UTC 2013

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Lennart Sorensen <
lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On Thu, May 09, 2013 at 12:00:42PM -0400, Paul Tarvydas wrote:
> > Correct.
> >
> > Although, it didn't "confuse" me.  It just pissed me off.
> >
> > It was like using Windows.
>
> It's almost the exact opposit of windows.  Windows installs all the
> features by default and enables them all.  Debian installs almost nothing
> and does not enable things by default.
>
> > Every time I wanted to accomplish something, I needed to install an
> > "update".  By the time it was finished, I couldn't remember what it
> > was I was trying to accomplish.
> >
> > It continuously got in my way.
> >
> > I've been developing real-time embedded software and compilers (not
> > linux development, not webserver development / deployment) for a
> > living for 30+ years.  I need all of the tools to be in place.  And
> > the "office" and web-client stuff just needs to be there and not
> > irritate me.
>
> Unfortunately what you want is not what everyone wants in a system.

I'm still scratching my head trying to recall what might be considered
'missing' last time I did a Debian install. Other than video drivers and I
guess Flash, I really can't think of anything else I had to do to have
everything I needed, I mean for a basic working desktop computer and so on.
And installing the NVidia stuff now is ridiculously easy on Debian.

There was definitely nothing missing in terms of 'office and web-client
stuff'.

Unfortunately a lot of opinions are formed on vague or unsubstantiated
impressions, rather than specific factual experiences. Looking back over
this thread, I couldn't see one specific example of a flaw. That is
annoying to me, considering the number of negative opinions.

> > And, I don't remember specifically what, but stuff in Wheezy and
> > Squeeze simply didn't work / crashed (probably youtube related?).
> >
> > Mandriva was far superior in that regard (it was a stable,
> > full-featured Windows workstation replacement), except for the
> > drama.
>
> Not that windows includes all those things by default either.  Those are
> 3rd party applications.
>
> --
> Len Sorensen

Thomas Milne