[GTALUG] Tom's Hardware: "AMD announces unified UDNA GPU architecture — bringing RDNA and CDNA together to take on Nvidia's CUDA ecosystem"

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Tue Sep 10 09:59:38 EDT 2024

On 2024-09-10 09:50, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> <https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-components/cpus/amd-announces-unified-udna-gpu-architecture-bringing-rdna-and-cdna-together-to-take-on-nvidias-cuda-ecosystem>
>
> This seems important to me.  I lost a lot of interest in playing with
> AMD GPU Computing when consumer cards were no longer supported by
> AMD's computing stack.
>
> Unfortunately, it is clear that this unification will take years because
> there are GPUs in the product pipeline that haven't got the memo.
>
> I found one particular paragraph disappointing:
>
> 	The company also remains focused on ROCm despite the emergence
> 	of the UXL Foundation, an open software ecosystem for
> 	accelerators that is getting broad support from other players
> 	in the industry, like Qualcomm, Samsung, Arm, and Intel.
>
> ROCm seems to be to be an imperfect emulation of CUDA.  How is that
> going to be a winner?
> ---

I tend to follow the same kinds of issues.
Have you seen this one?
https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-components/gpus/software-allows-cuda-code-to-run-on-amd-and-intel-gpus-without-changes-zluda-is-back-but-both-companies-ditched-it-nixing-future-updates

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (647)478-6285
Netvel Inc.                   ||   home:  (905)513-7688