[GTALUG] Tom's Hardware: "AMD announces unified UDNA GPU architecture — bringing RDNA and CDNA together to take on Nvidia's CUDA ecosystem"

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Tue Sep 10 09:50:26 EDT 2024

<https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-components/cpus/amd-announces-unified-udna-gpu-architecture-bringing-rdna-and-cdna-together-to-take-on-nvidias-cuda-ecosystem>

This seems important to me.  I lost a lot of interest in playing with
AMD GPU Computing when consumer cards were no longer supported by
AMD's computing stack.

Unfortunately, it is clear that this unification will take years because
there are GPUs in the product pipeline that haven't got the memo.

I found one particular paragraph disappointing:

	The company also remains focused on ROCm despite the emergence
	of the UXL Foundation, an open software ecosystem for
	accelerators that is getting broad support from other players
	in the industry, like Qualcomm, Samsung, Arm, and Intel.

ROCm seems to be to be an imperfect emulation of CUDA.  How is that
going to be a winner?