[GTALUG] Recommendation for a media center front end?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sun Sep 8 01:55:12 EDT 2024

I hate top posting.  I recommend only quoting what's relevant to your
message.  And quoting in chronological order.  Putting the burden on
the reader isn't a good idea in a mailing list (there are more readers
than writers).

> >         The latest software upgrade of my MythTv Frontend dropped
> >         support for my
> >         video card, so I guess its time to go shopping.

> PS: For those interested, I restored my system by downgrading the kernel and
> nvidia drivers from sid back to stabe to testing, which involved an amount of
> brain salad surgery. After a number of hours of reinstalling packages, most
> everything is back.

This happened to me.  I have an Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 and Fedora 40.

- my NVidia card is no longer supported by current proprietary drivers

- it is supported by "legacy" proprietary drivers

- the Nouveau driver isn't good enough for some reason.  It crashes when I
  have too many browser pages.

- I wish to switch to Wayland

- the legacy proprietary driver won't work with Wayland

Is that what's going on for you?

I hate hours of brain salad surgery because I make too many mistakes.