[GTALUG] Recommendation for a media center front end?

Michael Galea michael at galeahome.ca
Sat Sep 7 20:48:43 EDT 2024

I did consider the PI when both v3 and v4 came out.  The V3 was a no go
from the start, and with V4 I noticed stuttering and tearing.  I wonder
why your experience seems to be better than mine.

One thing Ive noticed, and have to fix, is that HEVC encoded content
seems to be burdening my existing CPU, often to the point where it
overheats and shuts down.

As to the CEC, I always just installed a wireless keyboard and used that
to navigate Mythtv.

PS: For those interested, I restored my system by downgrading the kernel
and nvidia drivers from sid back to stabe to testing, which involved an
amount of brain salad surgery. After a number of hours of reinstalling
packages, most everything is back.

On 2024-09-07 12:20, Ansar Mohammed via talk wrote:
> I have been using raspberry PIs for more than 10 years.
> Simple, cheap and easy to use.
> The PI also supports HDMI CEC (to allow you to use your TV remote to
> control the PI's interface)
> The PI is fanless super quiet and comes with loads of add-ons
>
> On Sat, Sep 7, 2024 at 10:23 AM Jim Ruxton via talk <talk at gtalug.org
> <mailto:talk at gtalug.org>> wrote:
>
>     Wondering if a Raspberry Pi might be an option?
>     Jim
>
>     On Sat, Sep 7, 2024, 1:16 a.m. Michael Galea via talk
>     <talk at gtalug.org <mailto:talk at gtalug.org>> wrote:
>
>         Hi All,
>         The latest software upgrade of my MythTv Frontend dropped
>         support for my
>         video card, so I guess its time to go shopping.
>
>         I would appreciate any recommendations for small form factor or
>         mini PC
>         style hardware.
>
>         I'm currently looking at a Beelink Mini S12 Pro Mini PC, Intel
>         12th Gen
>         Alder Lake- N100(up to 3.4GHz), 16GB DDR4 RAM 500GB PCIe SSD
>         which is
>         going for $329 on Amazon.  Has anyone had experience with this
>         brand?
>
>         Thanks
>         --
>         Michael Galea