[GTALUG] cheap as dirt old notebooks

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Sun Oct 6 10:33:44 EDT 2024

On Sat, Oct 5, 2024 at 12:28 AM Kevin Cozens via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> On 2024-10-04 18:05, o1bigtenor via talk wrote:
>
> > Anyone have any ideas on how to get  wlan0 running?
>
> What Linux(?) distro did you install on the laptop?

Installed devuan daedalus (like debian stable except no systemd).

>snip
>
> All the hardware features I tried are working. I heard an odd noise from the
> laptop. The fan sounds like it needs to be changed. I was hoping for longer
> battery life compared to my Windows based laptop (that runs at 100% CPU most
> of the time). The laptop arrived with 92% battery life and I ran it for
> about 9 hours today.

Dunno what to do but connman refuses to connect.

RF-kill was alive and well - - - I just sent it away (permanently!).
When I use #ip link set wlan0 up  there is no result (normal) but
when I go #ip link show wlan0   I'm still getting
wlan0: <NO-CARRIER, BROADCAST, MULTICAST, DYNAMIC,UP> mtu,1500 qdisc
noqueue state DOWN mode DORMANT group default glen 1000

so - - - how do I kick this thing in the pants to get wlan0 working?

TIA