[GTALUG] cheap as dirt old notebooks

Kevin Cozens kevin at ve3syb.ca
Sat Oct 5 01:28:40 EDT 2024

On 2024-10-04 18:05, o1bigtenor via talk wrote:
> Bought a couple of these.
> Cosmetically - - - dunno why its class b - - - they look in pretty good shape.

Indeed it does. Mine has a large "NO" on the top to the right of the
touchpad but it is only noticeable if you look at the right angle.

> Anyone have any ideas on how to get  wlan0 running?

What Linux(?) distro did you install on the laptop?

My unit arrived today, 3 days after the date mentioned when I made my
purchase. On first boot it went in to the BIOS did some check, mentioned it
wanted to get an update for cos(?) something or other. It didn't repeat the
message after it finished its check and I confirmed the drive wasn't
bootable. I went through all the BIOS settings to see what was there. I
turned off IPv6 and Bluetooth. Wireless support was enabled.

I installed Linux Mint Debian Edition. Installation and configuration was
pretty standard. I set up the network connection from the Linux desktop.
Once I told my router the MAC address was allowed to access the Internet I
was online.

All the hardware features I tried are working. I heard an odd noise from the
laptop. The fan sounds like it needs to be changed. I was hoping for longer
battery life compared to my Windows based laptop (that runs at 100% CPU most
of the time). The laptop arrived with 92% battery life and I ran it for
about 9 hours today.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

https://www.patreon.com/KevinCozens | "Nerds make the shiny things that
                                     | distract the mouth-breathers, and
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172          | that's why we're powerful"
#include <disclaimer/favourite>     |             --Chris Hardwick