[GTALUG] cheap as dirt old notebooks

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Mon Oct 7 08:55:45 EDT 2024

Debian has always had (negative) strong views about non-free drivers,
and I assume Devuan is no better.  And Wifi drivers are often
"non-free."  I use Debian heavily, so I can make suggestions about
that - although I can't address either Devuan or your specific
hardware.

For Debian, what I often have to do is to spend some time A)
determining the type of wireless device, and B) installing the drivers
for it.  `lsusb` is your friend (also try `lspci`).  This lists out
your USB devices (or PCI devices).  You should be able to spot the
Wifi.  Here are a couple examples from two of my machines:

Bus 002 Device 006: ID 0bda:8153 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8153
Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

This is a USB device that was detected and worked out-of-the-box by
Debian, much to my surprise.

02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 8265 / 8275 (rev 78)

This is a PCI device, and required some work.  I hope you have a
USB-to-Ethernet dongle that works so that you can easily search and
install packages on the machine that has the problematic Wifi.

Use a browser to search for "Debian" and "Intel 8265" (or "8275").
The answer in this case turned out to be to install the
"firmware-iwlwifi" package which probably came from the "non-free"
package repository.  Even if it didn't, when dealing with Wifi you
definitely want to have the "non-free" packages available.

In this example case, simply installing the package was enough to get
the Wifi working after a reboot.  In less fortunate cases, you may
have to muck around with `insmod` and the start-up scripts.  Read the
pages you find about the particular hardware and driver and
Debian/Devuan carefully.  It's a PITA, but unless you have an
exceptionally obscure Wifi device, it's usually fairly
straight-forward.  Good luck.