[GTALUG] access to iLO on HP ProLiant DL360p Gen8 Server

Zbigniew Koziol softquake at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 16:39:59 EDT 2024

On 27.08.2024 21:51, Aurelian Melinte via talk wrote:
> On 27/08/2024 10:55, Zbigniew Koziol via talk wrote:
>> Greetings to all who may be remember me (it is already around 16
>> years as I left Canada). To others - too :)
>>
>> I have bought that machine for computer simulations in physics, not
>> having before experience with similar ones.
>>
>> The first start and installing mint there went easy. My guess is that
>> I shut it down improperly (I do not remember details).
>
> Hi,
>
> This is more of a question for a full fledged admin but AFAIK:
>
>   * I suspect this is an HP machine. Do search exactly for the manual
>     of that machine. HP has a number of iterations (GenX e.g. Gen10)
>     so you need the exact manual to find the battery location

Did not I specify exact model?

I think there is no need to reset the BIOS if you did not change the iLO
password

>   * plug a monitor - there should be a video/VGA port on the back.
>     When it boots, it will display the iLO IP
>   * Press F11 (on my models) - you will get into a one-time boot menu
>     and you could boot an USB stick
>   * Power button: you may need to long-press it for a full shutdown

Boy, I can not restart the computer.

Did you read with understanding what I wrote? Shut up. I need help. Not
silly advises.

zb.

>> Now, it is my guess, the machine is in standby mode (when power is
>> connected). The unfortunate thing is that I did not do any initial
>> BIOS configuration and I did not care to write down iLO IP address.
>>
>> The lights on both power suppliers are off. The light on the front is
>> amber. Two lights near iLO cable are green, one solid, the second is
>> blinking, suggesting that iLO works properly.
>>
>> By reading the internet and documentation I found out that sometime
>> people have similar problems. What is advised is resetting the beast
>> to factory setting. That apparently can be done by 3 methods: 1) with
>> some magic of removing/swapping power suppliers, 2) by changing S6 to
>> ON on system maintenance switch and 3) by removing CMOS battery.
>>
>> I did try the methods 1) and 2). In case of method 3) - I do not know
>> how to remove battery. It does not look the same as it is drawn in
>> the original technical documentation.
>>
>> Now, I thought I will try to use iLO. First, I need its IP address.
>> Yes, I know basics of using ping, nmap, etc. However, I have at home
>> a simple Huawey router. It allows to have netmask of the type
>> 255.255.255.0, only, hence scanning the entire possible IP range is
>> in practice, impossible.
>>
>> It happened that that I discovered an option on my desktop computer
>> to configure the network connection as "shared to other computers".
>> Hence, connected to cable directly to iLO and found out that my IP is
>> now 10.42.0.1. Does that mean that this is IP of iLO? That would be a
>> something, however, the problem does not end there.
>>
>> How to connect to iLO anyway? My Huawey router does not allow me to
>> change a configuraion in such a way that 10.42.0.1 could be an
>> address of a connected device: it wants 10.42.0.1 to be the gateway
>> address.
>>
>> Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

> Post to this mailing listtalk at gtalug.org

Zbigniew Kozioł, PhD,
National Center for Nuclear Research,
Materials Research Laboratory,