[GTALUG] access to iLO on HP ProLiant DL360p Gen8 Server

Zbigniew Koziol softquake at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 10:55:43 EDT 2024

Greetings to all who may be remember me (it is already around 16 years
as I left Canada). To others - too :)

I have bought that machine for computer simulations in physics, not
having before experience with similar ones.

The first start and installing mint there went easy. My guess is that I
shut it down improperly (I do not remember details).

Now, it is my guess, the machine is in standby mode (when power is
connected). The unfortunate thing is that I did not do any initial BIOS
configuration and I did not care to write down iLO IP address.

The lights on both power suppliers are off. The light on the front is
amber. Two lights near iLO cable are green, one solid, the second is
blinking, suggesting that iLO works properly.

By reading the internet and documentation I found out that sometime
people have similar problems. What is advised is resetting the beast to
factory setting. That apparently can be done by 3 methods: 1) with some
magic of removing/swapping power suppliers, 2) by changing S6 to ON on
system maintenance switch and 3) by removing CMOS battery.

I did try the methods 1) and 2). In case of method 3) - I do not know
how to remove battery. It does not look the same as it is drawn in the
original technical documentation.

Now, I thought I will try to use iLO. First, I need its IP address. Yes,
I know basics of using ping, nmap, etc. However, I have at home a simple
Huawey router. It allows to have netmask of the type 255.255.255.0,
only, hence scanning the entire possible IP range is in practice,
impossible.

It happened that that I discovered an option on my desktop computer to
configure the network connection as "shared to other computers". Hence,
connected to cable directly to iLO and found out that my IP is now
10.42.0.1. Does that mean that this is IP of iLO? That would be a
something, however, the problem does not end there.

How to connect to iLO anyway? My Huawey router does not allow me to
change a configuraion in such a way that 10.42.0.1 could be an address
of a connected device: it wants 10.42.0.1 to be the gateway address.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

--
Zbigniew Kozioł, PhD,
National Center for Nuclear Research,