[GTALUG] Old and New Habits...

Steve Petrie apetrie at aspetrie.net
Sun Aug 11 09:23:28 EDT 2024

o1bigrenor is absolutely correct with his observation: "when I'm
supposed to spend an hour of my time watching something that I could
have read through in likely under 5 minutes - - - they're a waste of my
time."

A few paragraphs of well-crafted textual prose can be read and absorbed
more quickly than the time it would take to watch a video conveying the
same ideas. I often avoid watching lengthy videos, because the time
investment is likely not justified by the video's information content.

This being said, videos do have an important role to play on the
Internet. For example, when a journalist interviews a prominent public
figure, their conversation can range dynamically and spontaneously over
subject matter. Tone of voice and facial expressions also convey
information. The interviewer can confront the interviewee with difficult
observations and questions. How the interviewee handles these
challenges, will inform the audience about the character of the
interviewee.

Consider the urban riots in the United Kingdom. A video of a streetscape
engulfed in rioting, has a more dramatic impact then the simple word
"riot". And a video of UK Prime Minister Kier Starmer, conveys more
powerfully, subtle aspects of his demenour and attitude, than would a
written report. A written report could carry biased implications,
whereas the video of Starmer is unvarnished uninterpreted Starmer.