[GTALUG] Old and New Habits...

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Sun Aug 11 23:11:39 EDT 2024

On 2024-08-11 22:50, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 11, 2024 at 10:29:18PM -0400, Alvin Starr via talk wrote:
>> Just tested google mail since I have a google account with a clients domain.
>> Not gmail technically.
>>
>> Anyway. alvin.starr at domain.com works but alvinstarr at domain.com does not.
>> but may gmail account will take alvinthing at gmail.com and
>> alvinthing. at gmail.com
>>
>> So it appears that punctuation counts some times.
> Sure, google mail service for your domain does not follow the rules
> of gmail.  It's not the same service.

Well both are through gmail.

It is quite possible that the "free" service has different rules than
the "paid" service but that would surprise me (just a bit).

Email addresses need to be able to accept the various character sets
used by languages other than ASCII so the rules for punctuation may be
embedded in that standard.
I have not looked at that stuff in years so I would not want to comment
on what is valid or not.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (647)478-6285
Netvel Inc.                   ||   home:  (905)513-7688