[GTALUG] Linux friendly email providers?

Ron / BCLUG admin at bclug.ca
Thu Nov 23 15:33:14 EST 2023

Howard Gibson via talk wrote on 2023-11-22 21:06:

> Handy tip folks -- Start your emails with a line feed at the top of the
> page. This will separate your content from the blurb corporate email
> servers will attach warning your recipients how evil and dangerous you
> are.

This is an interesting idea. I've seen mbox files get corrupted (all
mailbox messages in one file, and a line like "From: " is the message
delimiter. Terrible!)

So, blank line might help with that.

I've recently switched to using Maildir format (server *and*
Thunderbird).  One message per file.

Thunderbird says it's not fully supported, but it works fine. The
unsupported features are in how Maildir *renames* a file (often also
with moving it via hard linking) to reflect changes in status (Read, etc.)

The Read, replied-to, etc. are stored elsewhere in Thunderbird.

> I am considering taking out a URL for my website. If I contract
> with a service that provide email, I should be able to download that
> through popmail, right?

Unsure what's meant by "taking out a URL" -- registering a domain?

Anyway, POP should be provided by all email services (except Google
apparently), it's literally a single line or 3 of configuration file
entries and is probably enabled by default. So, those that don't offer
it have to remove the feature (as I understand it).

Also, it saves on disk space if the user immediately downloads and
deletes the messages, and that's a significant resource - disk space.

At least, it is in my situation.