[GTALUG] Linux friendly email providers?

Howard Gibson hgibson at eol.ca
Thu Nov 23 00:06:33 EST 2023

On Wed, 22 Nov 2023 21:25:13 -0500 (EST)
Karen Lewellen via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> Hi folks,
> let me be more specific..some of you tech wizards run your own mail
> servers laughs.
> for context, although google is removing access to basic html in January,
> they pulled my access to it early..and without warning on Monday.
> So, what I am seeking now is a provider that  can..
>   1, allow me to export all of my gmail content to them.
> 2, either allows for user name / password log in directly with a web
> interface, or where I can ssh into a shell or workspace and find an email
> client, think Alpine for example.
> 3, where I can also send email, in theory once I have all of my gmail
> content, I can set that email to forward without losing access to a great
> deal of personal, professional, and legal files.

Karen,

   I ran email on my local machine about twenty years ago.  I stopped
at the time because a number of people I communicated with were sitting
behind firewalls that excluded home email servers.  I cannot access my
personal website from work because that is considered dangerous.  I
have a gmail account, and I can no longer download by popmail.

   Handy tip folks -- Start your emails with a line feed at the top of
the page.  This will separate your content from the blurb corporate
email servers will attach warning your recipients how evil and
dangerous you are.

   I am considering taking out a URL for my website.  If I contract
with a service that provide email, I should be able to download that
through popmail, right?

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson at eol.ca