[GTALUG] Browsers (and Thorium to be specific)

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Nov 23 14:38:09 EST 2023

On Thu, Nov 23, 2023 at 02:07:36PM -0500, Evan Leibovitch via talk wrote:
> I've been a happy (sorta) user of Firefox for a long long time but I found
> I have needed a Chromium-based backup because there are some sites that
> Just Won't Work under FF. Blank white screens, hanging, missing frames, the
> problem varies but it never exists on Chrome or Edge. (Sorry, Brave, just
> couldn't get into it.)
>
> Now The YouTube recommendation algorithms have been of late feeding me with
> quite a few reviews of the Thorium browser, some of which come from
> channels I have watched before.
>
> Is it worth the hype? At very least, is it a better alternative to Chrome
> or Edge? I would like to sync bookmarks, plugins and logins between devices
> and have some sense of stability (is that it will be around for a while).
> Is there something else even better?

It is pretty annoying that chrome has become the new IE.  Lots of web
developers only use chrome and don't care that their javascript or html
doesn't work on other browsers anymore.

I use chrome as little as possible, but yes a few sites are so badly
made that they don't work on anything else.

--
Len Sorensen