[GTALUG] Favorite desktop manager?

bitmap bitmap at imap.cc
Tue Jul 25 16:18:42 EDT 2023

It sounds like some of the problem you were experiencing was with xfdesktop:
https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfdesktop/start

xfce4/xfwm and their components have had some major upgrades in the past couple years after no updates for a long, long time. Idk about debian versioning but maybe there was some incompatibility if you upgraded one but not the other. Try doing it all at once.

But if you want something more adventurous, maybe you'd be interested in:
Not so Common Desktop Environment (NsCDE)
https://github.com/NsCDE/NsCDE

good luck!