[GTALUG] two or three tricks for installing Linux as a second OS on a Windows box

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Mar 9 08:42:52 EST 2022

On Tue, Mar 08, 2022 at 09:53:14AM -0500, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> Without checking, I would guess that WinSCP is a few megabytes of disk
> space but WSL is a few gigabytes.
>
> I think that for the few times I use it, scp on PowerShell is OK,
> saving disk space over WSL.
>
> I do use WinSCP too.  (In the last couple of years I've even started
> to use the Gnome Files program fairly regularly!)
>
> For me the disk space for WSL effectively comes from Linux because I
> don't generally have a Windows-only computer and I try to give most of
> the space to Linux.  I haven't really found WSL very useful.
> I understand that others do find it useful.

WSL is useful enough that my laptop no longer has a linux install.
I have dedicated linux machines in the house, but for my laptop windows
with WSL works just fine and avoids the hassle of dealing with the linux
drivers when it comes to suspend and the dual intel/nvidia video chip
setup and such.  And I can play my games.  So since what I do is run
a web browser, play some games, and run a bash shell to do whatever
command line stuff I need, it just seems to work better.

I find graphical programs hugely annoying for file management compared
to a CLI, so gnome has nothing useful to offer me, and winscp is just
too much trouble with all that clicking.

powershell's syntax is just too weird and verbose for me to bother
looking at.

--
Len Sorensen