[GTALUG] two or three tricks for installing Linux as a second OS on a Windows box

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Tue Mar 8 09:53:14 EST 2022

| From: Lennart Sorensen via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| But you want a bash shell on windows anyhow, so WSL makes the perfect
| CLI on windows.
|
| I even have samba setup, and never use it, I just scp.
|
| winscp is a nice tool, but it's no match for a linux shell.

Without checking, I would guess that WinSCP is a few megabytes of disk
space but WSL is a few gigabytes.

I think that for the few times I use it, scp on PowerShell is OK,
saving disk space over WSL.

I do use WinSCP too.  (In the last couple of years I've even started
to use the Gnome Files program fairly regularly!)

For me the disk space for WSL effectively comes from Linux because I
don't generally have a Windows-only computer and I try to give most of
the space to Linux.  I haven't really found WSL very useful.
I understand that others do find it useful.