[GTALUG] Sane Email System?

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Fri Mar 4 10:12:11 EST 2022

On 2022-03-03 20:18, Peter King via talk wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I've just been informed that "legacy authentication" is going to be
> disabled at the University of Toronto for my email account.  Well, I
> suspected something like this was in the works when they adopted MS Outlook
> 365+ as the mail server, but it still isn't welcome.
Well, single password authentication is going away for good reason.
Years ago (10+) I started forcing our email users to stop using POP and
start using IMAP.
Not because POP was bad but because the users did not know how to use it
appropriately and they became a huge support headache.
So I get pushing people away from POP to things like IMAP.
> [snip]
> (I am currently teaching a few courses at UCLA and was forced to use their
> webmail system, run by Google, and I have to say I despise it: graphical
> for no good reason, with limited search/sort capabilities, threading of old
> messages not clearly visible, and so on.)
>
> Any advice, suggestions, hints?  War stories?  Ways to thwart the powers
> that be?  Thanks in advance.

I also have a client who forces me to use gmail and I have enabled their
imap service so that I can use thunderbird which is my mail reader of
choice.

Another tool I use with IMAP mail servers is imapsync.
It allows you to copy content from one IMAP server to another.
The man page also has a nice list of other IMAP backup/copy software.

I use imapsync for archival of client email accounts and for moving
email between old and new email accounts.

It should be possible to sync your email using IMAP and then process it
however you like.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (647)478-6285
alvin at netvel.net              ||