[GTALUG] Sane Email System?

James Knott james.knott at jknott.net
Fri Mar 4 08:58:44 EST 2022

On 2022-03-03 8:18 p.m., Peter King via talk wrote:
> I've just been informed that "legacy authentication" is going to be
> disabled at the University of Toronto for my email account.  Well, I
> suspected something like this was in the works when they adopted MS Outlook
> 365+ as the mail server, but it still isn't welcome.

Actually, they're behind the times.  Email, in general, is switching to
OAuth2 for security reasons.   If the server will work with Thunderbird,
it will work with almost any IMAP (or POP3 if they're incompetent)
client.  Even if you go elsewhere, you'll likely run into the same
thing.  Both Google and Yahoo require OAuth2.  Also, they'll probably
require encrypted protocols, SMTPS and IMAPS.  I have also used normal
email apps with Exchange servers, as I do not like Outlook.  It has some
really DUMB "features".  I haven't used Outlook 365.

BTW, I also don't care for using a browser to read email.