[GTALUG] Can anyone recommend a "health" smartwatch?

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 09:00:21 EST 2022

On Fri, 4 Feb 2022 at 08:32, David Collier-Brown via talk
<talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> My fitbit with a heart-rate sensor died, so I bought a Spade and Co "Health Smartwatch 2", which was absolutely beautiful, just what I wanted... and didn't work.
>
> All three apps they use all demand I own a phone with a larrrrge screen, so you can fill in the forms. I have a small screen, and the app knows I wouldn't want to scroll down, so it prohibits my doing so. (They should terminate their UX person with extreme prejudice (:-))
>
> Any recommendations about good "health" watches?  If folks have had good experiences with some, I'll try their apps, and if they work, order one.

Hi Dave.

My brother recently long-term loaned me his older Withings watch
because he bought the latest by Withings.  Stylistically quite
different from "smart watches," it's mostly meant for health and/or
sports.  It actually looks quite good.  I've been hugely impressed
with the battery life - I charged it when I got it, and a month later
it's at about 50% ... I haven't been using it much (I wear it when I
walk, and not even always then), but compared to "smart watches," it's
still astonishing.  It does steps and heart-rate (although in its
current mode you have to press a button to request heart-rate).  It
probably does a whole lot more I'm not aware of yet.  I wanted it
mostly for heart-rate ... and as a result of my privacy fanaticism, I
haven't even installed their app.  My brother is pretty hard-core on
privacy too: I'd say that his buying their watch(es) at all - and
using their app - is a vote of confidence.  Worth a look at least?

--
Giles
https://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr at gmail.com