[GTALUG] Back to basics: upgrading from Windows to Linux

Kevin Cozens kevin at ve3syb.ca
Thu Apr 28 21:25:25 EDT 2022

On 2022-04-28 17:29, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> | From: Kevin Cozens via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
> | I have just used dd run under Linux when I have cloned drives in the past.
> | YMMV.
>
> Two problems I can imagine:
>
> - the two disks will have partitions with identical UUIDs.

I was thinking the purpose of the cloning was to replace one drive with
another. If you are cloning a drive and keeping them both in the machine it
will be a problem if you are referencing drives by UUID. You can always
change the drive ID after the cloning process by referencing it by
filesystem ID. The fstab file in my machine uses filesystem ID for drive
references. The only time I use device UUID is in grub2. Back in the days of
grub1 I had it using the filesystem ID.

> - if the geometry is different you might get a bad result.

If the size/type of drive is radically different that could be a problem. In
that case the new drive can be partitioned as desired (ie. like the old
one), then rsync can be to copy the files.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/               | "Nerds make the shiny things that
https://www.patreon.com/KevinCozens | distract the mouth-breathers, and
                                     | that's why we're powerful"
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172          |
#include <disclaimer/favourite>     |             --Chris Hardwick