[GTALUG] Back to basics: upgrading from Windows to Linux

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Thu Apr 28 18:16:19 EDT 2022

On Thu, Apr 28, 2022 at 5:30 PM D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

>   I generally find that disk sectors are 4k these days but 512 bytes on
>   a USB disk.  I don't know what an NVMe SSD presents as its
>   blocksize.  It might well be that Evan's USB thingee preserves the
>   blocksize of the SSD.  I don't know.

For a native (ie, a sealed) USB stick I think you're right.

But these thingees are interfaces between USB3 and conventional SSDs and
HDDs.

I have a cable/adapter between a SATA SDD drive and USB3
<https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=5_3925_4246&item_id=150921>,
with essentially (from what I understand) the same electronics as one would
find in an external drive enclosure with power supplied by the USB.
I haven't tested that my M.2-to-USB gadget
<https://www.amazon.ca/Sabrent-Enclosure-External-Aluminum-EC-SNVE/dp/B08RVC6F9>
works the same way but I have no reason yet to believe that it won't.

- Evan