[GTALUG] Back to basics: upgrading from Windows to Linux

William Park opengeometry at yahoo.ca
Thu Apr 28 18:07:32 EDT 2022

On 4/28/22 01:35, Evan Leibovitch via talk wrote:
> Turns out I was wrong. So very, very wrong. And now I can't wait to go
> back to my Linux desktop,
Another topic for meeting?  Because I was thinking about moving to
Windows (and Ubuntu in WSL), and dump Linux altogether.  I finally
configured Thunderbird to do my Email and Calendar, so there is nothing
keeping me tied to Slackware/KDE.

>  1. My motherboard takes a single M.2 SSD for my one and only drive. I
>     have a larger M.2 card that I'd like to replace it with, cloning my
>     existing setup to the new drive (in a temporary USB enclosure) then
>     installing and shrinking the Windows partition in anticipation of
>     the Linux dual-boot install. Can anyone recommend a good tool for
>     doing the disk clone? Or am I better off to just fresh-install
>     Windows on the new drive, and restore my data from the old one?

GParted, Clonezilla, or even Windows might have something.  I mean,
upgrading to bigger disk is common thing, no?

>  2. I want to have one partition for data that is visible regardless if
>     I boot Linux or Windows. Previously the most reliable filesystem
>     readable by bothwas FAT32. Should I still do that? Is Linux support
>     for NTFS good enough now? Even better, can Windows be taught to read
>     ext4?

I can read/write NTFS USB sticks.  So, should be okay.