[GTALUG] Vaccination Receipts on Linux

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Mon Sep 20 12:06:29 EDT 2021

On 2021-09-17 16:18, Karen Lewellen via talk wrote:
> and that link, like a great deal of Ontario.ca these days is not
> inclusively  designed.
> I get a JavaScript error, even when using a JavaScript friendly
> browser with  adaptive tools on the Ubuntu shell services I use. Both
> dreamhost's shell and the one I use most of the time.

Backing  up the discussion a bit.

The Ontario government has the Accessibility for Ontarians with
Disabilities Act (AODA) https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/05a11

I know that at least a number of government Ministries do try to produce
AODA complaint sites and associated documentation and training because
my wife has worked on a number of these projects for well over the last
5 years.

AODA compliance and the associated certification process can add months
to the timeline of a project along with significant costs.
Each version of site or document can end up being subject to a review
process by an external certification organization.
AODA testing is a slow and tedious process and is one of the first
things that will get cut when budgets become limited, much like
documentation and testing.

Clearly the existing web services from ontario.ca are not sufficient.
There is an argument that the AODA has remedies for people who find
themselves without the ability to access Ontario government services.
I have never tried to raise a complaint with the compliance and
enforcement people so I have no idea how well or poorly the process works.

Its interesting that there were mentions of the U.S. ADA but nothing
about Ontario's AODA and the federal ACA.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (647)478-6285
alvin at netvel.net              ||