[GTALUG] Vaccination Receipts on Linux

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Sep 20 16:36:10 EDT 2021

On Mon, Sep 20, 2021 at 12:06:29PM -0400, Alvin Starr via talk wrote:
> BackingĀ  up the discussion a bit.
>
> The Ontario government has the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities
> Act (AODA) https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/05a11
>
> I know that at least a number of government Ministries do try to produce
> AODA complaint sites and associated documentation and training because my
> wife has worked on a number of these projects for well over the last 5
> years.
>
> AODA compliance and the associated certification process can add months to
> the timeline of a project along with significant costs.
> Each version of site or document can end up being subject to a review
> process by an external certification organization.
> AODA testing is a slow and tedious process and is one of the first things
> that will get cut when budgets become limited, much like documentation and
> testing.
>
> Clearly the existing web services from ontario.ca are not sufficient.
> There is an argument that the AODA has remedies for people who find
> themselves without the ability to access Ontario government services.
> I have never tried to raise a complaint with the compliance and enforcement
> people so I have no idea how well or poorly the process works.
>
> Its interesting that there were mentions of the U.S. ADA but nothing about
> Ontario's AODA and the federal ACA.

Just because getting it certified is tedious is no excuse for not
designing it with that in mind from the start.  Making a design that is
entirely not suitable is a great way to ensure it will be a lot of work
and expensive when you have to then do it all over after the fact to do
it right.

--
Len Sorensen