[GTALUG] keyboards

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 07:32:12 EDT 2021

On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 11:24 AM Giles Orr via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Oct 2021 at 16:40, o1bigtenor via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

snip (trying to keep the length somewhat reasonable!)

> >> There are many web pages that describe the colours of switches.
> >> <https://geargaminghub.com/cherry-mx-switches/>
> >>
> >> My wife likes "blue" keys (noisy and tactile).
> >> I like "brown" keys (less noisy but tactile).
> >>
> >> If you care a lot, you may care about the company that produced the
> >> switches.  I haven't bothered to sudy this aspect.
> >>

> > Interesting comments from all of the responders so far.
> > Is anyone using an ergonomic keyboard from this group.
> > The old rectangular keyboard makes my hands ache at the
> > thought of using only this. I have some cheap keyboards gotten
> > with machine purchases - - - my working keyboard for anything
> > more than a few keystrokes is an ergonomic version. I'm about
> > 60 cm across the shoulders so a keyboard that's some 35 cm
> > just isn't comfortable.
> >
> > I also like my numeric keypad - - - - do a lot of entries on that
> > for business use and would like to have it part of the keyboard
> > if at all possible.
> >
> > I have used the mechanical keys in a very long time - - - think
> > I would prefer less noise rather than more but for high quality
> > would like give on that!
> >
> > Re: gaming - - - - I'm having too fun fun and use far too much time
> > on my system without playing any games - - - tend to relax with a
> > book (most often a physical copy too).
> >
> > Thanking one and all for their input!!!!!!!!!
>
> There appear to be a lot of definitions of what "ergonomic" means when
> it comes to keyboards.  I tend to the most extreme example: I own
> three (working) Kinesis Advantage keyboards.  The Advantage2 can be
> had for $400-$450 Canadian - not cheap.  They come with Cherry brown
> switches, but I have a habit of retrofitting them with Cherry blues -
> which makes them noisier and more expensive.
>
> Everybody is recommending the keyboard(s) they love ...  I have a
> CoolerMaster with Cherry Blues, and several IBM model Ms, and have had
> many other types of "ergonomic" keyboards over the years.  I love the
> feel of the switches in both the CoolerMaster and the model Ms, but I
> find I need the two halves of the keyboard farther apart for comfort.
> I also prefer vertical columns of keys - as opposed to the now totally
> unnecessary leftward slant of key columns on almost all modern
> keyboards.  I've experimented with keyboards a lot to end up where I
> am: the Kinesis Advantage took a month to adjust to, but has been
> worth it ... for me.  It's my daily driver both at home and at work.
> You have to make your own call on these things.
>
> A note about gaming keyboards: gamers seem to tend to prefer low
> activation force, linear keys (Cherry Blacks or Cherry Reds).  Most
> people who type for a living (as opposed to gaming) seem to prefer
> "tactile" keys, which is quite different from the "linear" keys which
> don't have any feedback at all until they bottom out.  I hate linears
> (but again - personal taste).  And then there's the "clicky" thing:
> the noise the IBM model M makes can be enough to clear a small room.
> [...]

I learnt my typing skills on a manual typewriter using a 'Gregg
typing manual' as a class way back in junior high school.
My typing timed tests from those days were well north of
50 wpm - - - - its proved to be quite a useful skill over the
years.

I am also quite appalled at the total apathy most display
regarding their keyboards. It would seem that cheap is
the only useful attribute. This is not to say that I 'like' even
the idea of the seriously expensive Kinesis models but
I've been thinking about them for a couple years already.

Wish we didn't get hit so hard at the border when getting
them though!!!

Regards