[GTALUG] keyboards

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 09:04:09 EDT 2021

On Fri, 22 Oct 2021 at 12:44, Jason Shaw via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 12:24 PM Giles Orr via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
>> There appear to be a lot of definitions of what "ergonomic" means when
>> it comes to keyboards.  I tend to the most extreme example: I own
>> three (working) Kinesis Advantage keyboards.  The Advantage2 can be
>> had for $400-$450 Canadian - not cheap.  They come with Cherry brown
>> switches, but I have a habit of retrofitting them with Cherry blues -
>> which makes them noisier and more expensive.
>>
>> Everybody is recommending the keyboard(s) they love ...  I have a
>> CoolerMaster with Cherry Blues, and several IBM model Ms, and have had
>> many other types of "ergonomic" keyboards over the years.  I love the
>> feel of the switches in both the CoolerMaster and the model Ms, but I
>> find I need the two halves of the keyboard farther apart for comfort.
>> I also prefer vertical columns of keys - as opposed to the now totally
>> unnecessary leftward slant of key columns on almost all modern
>> keyboards.  I've experimented with keyboards a lot to end up where I
>> am: the Kinesis Advantage took a month to adjust to, but has been
>> worth it ... for me.  It's my daily driver both at home and at work.
>> You have to make your own call on these things.
>>
>> A note about gaming keyboards: gamers seem to tend to prefer low
>> activation force, linear keys (Cherry Blacks or Cherry Reds).  Most
>> people who type for a living (as opposed to gaming) seem to prefer
>> "tactile" keys, which is quite different from the "linear" keys which
>> don't have any feedback at all until they bottom out.  I hate linears
>> (but again - personal taste).  And then there's the "clicky" thing:
>> the noise the IBM model M makes can be enough to clear a small room.
>> Some people really really hate that noise.  I get that, but I still
>> love the feel of those things.
>>
>> Further reading (my intro to keyboard layouts and key types):
>> https://www.gilesorr.com/blog/computer-keyboards.html
>

> Thanks for that Giles.
>
> Keyboards are a very personal choice, and what's right for one user isn't going to be right for another.
>
> Personally, I use a ThinkPad X1 Carbon quite regularly and have for ~10 years, and love the touchpoint (red nub), so even my external keyboard for a long time was the ThinkPad TrackPoint kb (https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/accessories-and-monitors/keyboards-and-mice/keyboards/KBD-BO-TrackPoint-KBD-US-English/p/4Y40X49493). Over time though, my posture was suffering and my wrists were sore at the end of a workday. Combined with a personal accident that resulted in some permanent fingertip damage on my dominant hand, I needed something with better ergonomics, so I took the plunge on a split style, mechanical keyboard, and can't imagine going back.  The added benefit of having the desk area immediately in front of me wide open is great too.

> [...]

Jason (and Dave),

if you can find an "ortholinear" keyboard (and/or split keyboard)
that's not a Kinesis or Maltron, you'll find the finger retraining
period is actually quite small.  The "month" I've been given to quote
as my adjustment period for the Kinesis has almost nothing to do with
the vertical key columns or the split.  What takes so long to adjust
to is the weird (but good!) key curve, the repositioned keys, and
especially the much-increased use of the thumb.  And I know these are
the causes because I had a vertical row keyboard before I moved to the
Kinesis: the key layout was otherwise traditional, and adjusting to it
took only a couple days.

I've also found that switching between keyboard layouts is easy now
that I know both.  I use a Kinesis as a daily driver, but I can switch
to a standard keyboard at the drop of a hat.  The worst thing I do is
occasionally hit the space bar with my left thumb because that's where
the Escape key should be (what can I say - a remapping for a hardcore
Vim user), and I usually get over that in about ten minutes.

I'm going to add a "Hallelujah!" for the Matias placement of the "6"
key on the right hand: the vast majority of split keyboards put this
on the left, which is incorrect for touch typing.  And again a matter
of personal taste ...

--
Giles
https://www.gilesorr.com/