[GTALUG] 60Hz refresh is overrated [was Re: Has the graphics-card world gone mad?]

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Mar 31 10:38:54 EDT 2021

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 09:31:26PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> On my desktop, I never run videos full-screen.  A 39" diagonal screen
> at 24" is just too overwhelming.  I don't care that the YouTube
> content is stored at 60Hz.  Something adjusts it.  I think -- I just
> don't do this much.
>
> In the old days, there was an key sequence that got X to cycle through
> the mode settings.  I've not really needed it for years since I always
> want LCDs run at the native resolution when possible.  But your use
> case makes sense.  Does that key sequence still exist?  (By default,
> "they" removed the key sequences for shutting down X and for shutting
> down the machine.)

No idea.  I just figure it ought to do what I told it and not try to
outsmart me.  I tried to setup autorandr to fix it automatically, but
I can't remember if I got it working or not.

> I'm pretty sure you still use X because I know you favour Nvidia GPUs and
> that almost demands the proprietary driver.  (My desktop is in the same
> boat because of a bargain I scored over eight years ago.)

Yeah I don't even know if mythtv runs on anything other than X11 yet.
And the machine has an nvidia card in it (used to be a GTX 275 in
that machine until it decided to fuse itself to the PCIe slot of the
motherboard, now it is a GTX 660 Ti that I had meant to build a game
machine with years ago and never got around to it).

--
Len Sorensen