[GTALUG] Has the graphics-card world gone mad?

Anthony de Boer adb at adb.ca
Tue Mar 30 23:18:01 EDT 2021

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 01:08:53PM -0400, Anthony de Boer via talk wrote:
> > If all else fails, a Raspberry Pi 4 will drive a pair of high-end
> > monitors, probably not with the grunt that any modern game would want,
> > but enough to be the new X Terminal.
>
> It can drive one 4K screen at 60Hz.  It can drive two 4K screens at 30Hz,
> which I sure wouldn't want to use.  It rather ruins video playback in
> many cases.

Some of us are more into a few lovely huge xterms for hacking on code,
maybe SSH sessions somewhere or a browser or MUA and such, a bit of Bach
happening on the audio output, and not so much into games and video and
the overwhelming-bandwidth experience.

(At one point my son was looking at the price of some decent hardware
for running flight sim, and found he could have quite a few hours wet
rental of a Cessna 152 for that money; the latter won out.  I'm of the
same opinion; get up from the keyboard and experience real life rather
than trying to simulate it on the computer.)

--
Anthony de Boer