[GTALUG] 60Hz refresh is overrated [was Re: Has the graphics-card world gone mad?]

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Tue Mar 30 21:31:26 EDT 2021

| From: Lennart Sorensen via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 06:13:28PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
| > TL;DR: at least sometimes 30Hz is fine.

| I find a lot of youtube content is 60 fps, as is much of the content I
| have on mythtv so due to my video card not having HDMI 2.0, I run at
| 1080p at 60Hz rather than 2160p at 30Hz.  Maybe someday I will update the
| video card to fix that, although none of the mythtv content needs 4K.

On my desktop, I never run videos full-screen.  A 39" diagonal screen
at 24" is just too overwhelming.  I don't care that the YouTube
content is stored at 60Hz.  Something adjusts it.  I think -- I just
don't do this much.

| X annoyingly thinks that when it detects the TV, it should run at 4K at 30Hz
| rather than the explicitly configured 1080p at 60Hz.  This happens every
| time I change inputs on the TV.

In the old days, there was an key sequence that got X to cycle through
the mode settings.  I've not really needed it for years since I always
want LCDs run at the native resolution when possible.  But your use
case makes sense.  Does that key sequence still exist?  (By default,
"they" removed the key sequences for shutting down X and for shutting
down the machine.)

I'm pretty sure you still use X because I know you favour Nvidia GPUs and
that almost demands the proprietary driver.  (My desktop is in the same
boat because of a bargain I scored over eight years ago.)

| > Films are traditionally 25 frames/second (each frame is flashed
| > twice by traditional projectors).
|
| Well 24 unless you are in europe where they run the movies 4% fast when
| shown on TV.  Shown 0.1% slow on north american TVs.

Duh.  Silly mistake on my part.