[GTALUG] Has the graphics-card world gone mad?

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 18:46:10 EDT 2021

On Tuesday, 30 March 2021, o1bigtenor <o1bigtenor at gmail.com> wrote:

> Mr Russell
> >
> > What I am assuming

> <Snipped the facts>

> When one works from assumptions - - - - well its very easy to be quite
> out to lunch.

Now you decide to edit my posts. Remember you were the one who asked how to
find a modeline. I told you how to get more info by using google and
keywords.

> > Maybe because they already know what to do with information as
> postulated and assume their readership does as well. It's not all that
> farfetched to assume that people using linux do read the fine manual.
> >

> Had you actually read the page that I linked.
> I would posit not - - - you might have responded differently if you had.

What makes you think I haven't seen that page before? I've been setting up
linux for more than 20 years. The EDID parser falls back to VLB for
historical reasons.

> > Products are rebranded all the time. It's not really necessary to change
> every bit of esoterica in informatics.
>
> Hmmmmm - - - - every bit of esoterica - - - - the edid information is
> at best 30% correct - - - - the rest is esoterica by your definition

>  Who told you the information provided by the manufacturer is only 30 per
cent correct? Perhaps incomplete and or poorly formed but never incorrect.
It is their own information after all. How could you make that
determination now at this time, after stating in your previous post you
don't know what you are doing?

Oh yah, you can seem to be reasonable by eliminating my actual words and
then making vague references to facts not in evidence, but what end does
that serve?

There is no argument that EDID information is not perfectly crafted in
order to provide absolute certainty but it is information which the
author's deem valid at the time of release.

(that incorrect information
> included mode lines and physical information at a minimum).

This last sentence makes no sense whatsoever because unless you can show
the other 70% of information you don't cite is actually invalid it's just
so much hot air.

--
Russell