[GTALUG] Has the graphics-card world gone mad?

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso at utoronto.ca
Tue Mar 30 08:54:20 EDT 2021

On 30/03/2021 01:32, Evan Leibovitch via talk wrote:
> Yeah, but it won't be about video cards (thankfully).
>
> (FWIW, the issues I am having driving two 4K monitors with an RX 550
> exist in both Windows and Linux, suggesting that it's not capable of
> driving both monitors at full spec. Either I need to dial down the
> frequency as Russell suggests, or I need a new horsepower card...)

Limit your search to cards with 4GB memory and that will exclude the
overpriced mining cards.

Am running a new nvidia 1650 series card here with no issues, and doing
h264 encoding of the output at the same time. Under $300 if you look around.

e.g. https://www.pc-canada.com/item/PH%2DGTX1650%2DO4GD6.html - those
are nice because they are powered solely by the PCIe slot, so no extra
GPU cable needed.

Cheers, Jamon