[GTALUG] Has the graphics-card world gone mad?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Mar 30 16:41:30 EDT 2021

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 12:22:14PM -0400, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> OK, I'm now a little more confused than I was when I started.
>
> I have two 4K screens (Samsung U28E590D) that I want to use in day to day
> work. Maybe some streaming, but the most intensive game I would play is
> Cities: Skylines
> Any suggestions on what is the minimum GPU that will reasonably drive them?
> I've backordered a GTX 1660 at $315. Would a 1650 Super be enough?

Well I wouldn't think Cities: Skylines takes that much GPU power,
although I don't know how much detail it supports.  Of course if you
spread it across 3 screens at 4K that starts to be a lot of pixels to
render, even without a lot of details.

I found one page claiming a 1060 could run Cities: Skylines at Ultra
settings on one 4K screen at about 53fps.  A 1660 should be a bit faster
than that.  Not sure by how much.  Of course if you were to run the
game at 4K on 3 screens, that would probably hurt the frame rate a lot.
Of course one could always drop to 3x1080p while running the game and
get good framerate, while running the desktop and such at 4K.  Or you
could play one 1 screen for the game.  No idea how that game is at multi
monitor support.

--
Len Sorensen