[GTALUG] Has the graphics-card world gone mad?

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 16:58:05 EDT 2021

On Tuesday, 30 March 2021, o1bigtenor <o1bigtenor at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 9:21 AM Russell Reiter <rreiter91 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Mar 30, 2021, 9:50 AM o1bigtenor via talk, <talk at gtalug.org>
> wrote:

> talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> Having spent quite a few hours working on things in this area I have
> >> found a few things.

> many monitor / tv manufacturers is lacking in certain format/reporting
> respects. While linux autodetection generally works well in most use cases,
> this is the type of problem linux users have historically faced. I think
> this is probably due, not in any small part, to certain anti competetative
> practices.
> >>
> >> Linux auto-detection is based on manufacturers adhering to standards.
> >>
> >> EDID has become a joke - - - - the kernel docs talk about this - - -
> >> so its not just my opinion.
> >

> > I wouldnt nesessarily call EDID a joke. I mean what exactly is the
> alternative. With it you are at least able to parse the binary and output
> more human understandable xml structure, which you may then use to try and
> craft a customised solution for yourself.
>
> Hmm - - - I don't think you're understanding - - - - you are assuming
> that the data parsed is relevant and accurate.
> When it is not accurate and/or incomplete - - - - what is it?
> IMO that's a sick joke.

What I am assuming is that data is provided and comes from a source. It's
not a set of instructions, it is purely information. What makes it relevant
is the place it comes from. What makes it accurate or inaccurate is that
either the information accurately represents a fact a manufacturer wants to
make public or it does not.

> >> DeviceID should work better but really doesn't have any kind of real
> >> linux connection.
> >> At least nvidia - - - - well - - - - they're not too worried about
> >> adhering to any standard either - - - why should they - - - they KNOW
> >> they own the market (at least only some 80+%).
> >> My LG 4k monitor is actually made by Goldstar.
> >> The extreme level of profits desired in the industry means that cheap
> >> manufacture wins.
> >> Also means that details that aren't considered crucial - - - -well - -
> >> - they're just ignored!

> friendly colour profiles for ccd is one of the largest barriers to linux
> users in their choices of scanners and cameras etc.

> assuming they are not exact duplicates of each other, may provide a
> workable solution. In fact it may be fixed already in a kernel/firmware
> upgrade.

> parse-edid will provide a better understanding of the autogeneration of the
> display modelines used by Xorg or whatever server is used.
> >>
> >> What is so very fascinating is that both get-edid and parse-edid
> >> really aren't that useful.
> >

> > I have found them very useful in the past in conjunction with xrandr but
> personally havent had to use them for quite a number of years. As others
> have said Linux just works.
>
> You bet - - - - it just works until it doesn't work.
> What does one do then?
> https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v5.9/admin-guide/edid.html
> Except I just couldn't find anything besides this " "make" in
> tools/edid/ " which didn't do anything here.
> You bet I didn't know what I was doing - - - - but I also couldn't
> find anyone talking about what to do either!

Maybe because they already know what to do with information as postulated
and assume their readership does as well. It's not all that farfetched to
assume that people using linux do read the fine manual.

> >> Its not that the tools don't work but the tools rely on information
> >> provided and that information is all too often not correct.
> >> Changing the incorrect information - - - - well - - - I couldn't find
> >> a way to do that.
> >

> > In some cases is as easy as calling xrandr to author a modeline with the
> exact specifications it detects after probing as opposed to relying solely
> on information provided by the manufacturers who may not be entirely
> concerned with the fact that some users cant just buy the dashboard app
> they use in their day to day business.
>
> Hmm - - - - how does one find a modeline?

Type xrandr modeline into google and see what pops up.

> That oh so wonderful EDID indicated that the monitor was made in 2017 and
> the company released the product in 2020. Sorta looks like inaccurate
> information
> and that wasn't the only thing inaccurate so it was time to find
> something else.

Products are rebranded all the time. It's not really necessary to change
every bit of esoterica in informatics.

--
Russell