[GTALUG] Raspberry Pi

Aruna Hewapathirane aruna.hewapathirane at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 20:44:26 EST 2021

Hi Giles

On Fri, Mar 5, 2021 at 10:44 PM Giles Orr via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Mar 2021 at 19:11, Kevin Cozens via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > On 2021-03-05 5:57 p.m., Aruna Hewapathirane via talk wrote:
> > > Understood. I just want to try and build the smallest lightest kernel.
> Like
> > > puppy linux or knoppix. I use Debian at home so this is good news.
> >
> > Other options for a small distro are DSL (Damn Small Linux) or Morphix.
>
> While I agree that Damn Small was pretty good ... it was discontinued
> nine years ago.  I know this because I was a fan back in the day, and
> was very sorry to see it go.  DistroWatch tells me that Morphix was
> discontinued in 2003.  I'm not sure either of these are good choices
>
> Maybe try DistroWatch set to "Old Computers?":
>
> https://distrowatch.com/search.php?category=Old+Computers#simple
>
> Their first recommendation is Puppy, which is hardly surprising.  I
> wasn't much of a fan.  Eighth on the list is Tiny Core.  Tiny Core is
> .... interesting, without doubt.  And light, again without doubt.  But
> a real PITA because of the way it stores stuff.
>
> If Raspberry Pi OS is in the running, I'd go with that.  I find it a
> decent lightweight OS that acts a lot like other OSes that people are
> used to.  This cannot be said of Tiny Core, and Puppy is a bit out
> there too.

I decided to take Puppy and Tinycore for a drive. Remember those good old
Dos6.22 and Clipper+Dbase3 days ?
The attached screenshot is self explanatory :-)

I found a few other interesting SBC's and one that caught my eye is the
Orange-Pi has anyone used one of these ?
http://www.orangepi.org/

I will be contacting Mat and Stewart off-list to follow up with the used
Pi's.

Thanks everybody for all the support and advice and info - Aruna