[GTALUG] Raspberry Pi

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 22:44:42 EST 2021

On Fri, 5 Mar 2021 at 19:11, Kevin Cozens via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> On 2021-03-05 5:57 p.m., Aruna Hewapathirane via talk wrote:
> > Understood. I just want to try and build the smallest lightest kernel. Like
> > puppy linux or knoppix. I use Debian at home so this is good news.
>
> Other options for a small distro are DSL (Damn Small Linux) or Morphix.

While I agree that Damn Small was pretty good ... it was discontinued
nine years ago.  I know this because I was a fan back in the day, and
was very sorry to see it go.  DistroWatch tells me that Morphix was
discontinued in 2003.  I'm not sure either of these are good choices

Maybe try DistroWatch set to "Old Computers?":

https://distrowatch.com/search.php?category=Old+Computers#simple

Their first recommendation is Puppy, which is hardly surprising.  I
wasn't much of a fan.  Eighth on the list is Tiny Core.  Tiny Core is
.... interesting, without doubt.  And light, again without doubt.  But
a real PITA because of the way it stores stuff.

If Raspberry Pi OS is in the running, I'd go with that.  I find it a
decent lightweight OS that acts a lot like other OSes that people are
used to.  This cannot be said of Tiny Core, and Puppy is a bit out
there too.

--
Giles
https://www.gilesorr.com/