[GTALUG] Raspberry Pi

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Fri Mar 5 19:24:56 EST 2021

| From: Aruna Hewapathirane via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| On Fri, Mar 5, 2021 at 11:21 AM D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
| wrote:

| > As William top posted, that is still a perfectly repectable processor.
| > Much faster than any Raspberry Pi, as far as I know.
|
| Yes it is but the Raspberry Pi OS I botted up in the Virtualbox is a lot
| more responsive than my actual system it is running on.

On the face of it, it sounds as odd as:

	Watch a TV ad on TV.
	Conclude the advertised TV's picture looks better than your
	TV.

Clearly, your Raspberry Pi OS in Virtual Box cannot be faster than the
host OS since it is using the host OS.

Perhaps this is what's going on:

- modern Linux desktops use 3D accelerated compositing

- Hasell iGPUs are weak at 3D

- Raspberry Pi OS avoids this.

So:

Switch your PC to another Desktop Environment that doesn't do this
heavy compositing.  Which ones?  I don't know, but there are a
million.  debian supports a whole bunch, I think.  XFCE?

| SSD for me is a no-no. Risk of failure with absolutely no prior indication
| is a risk
| I am unwilling to take.

I had a few SSDs fail in early the days.  None recently.

When they fail, they tend to fail suddenly and hard.  But then again
HDDs can fail that way too.

>From my early experiences, I organize my desktop this way:
/ on SSD
/home ond HDD.

That way, a broken SSD is no problem: just replace and install a new
OS.