[GTALUG] Raspberry Pi

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Mar 8 11:07:31 EST 2021

On Fri, Mar 05, 2021 at 07:24:56PM -0500, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> On the face of it, it sounds as odd as:
>
> 	Watch a TV ad on TV.
> 	Conclude the advertised TV's picture looks better than your
> 	TV.

I do love it when people ask for pictures of a TV on forums as if they
could judge anything based on that given camera variances and what kind
of computer screen they are viewing the picture on.  They are mostly
meaningless (unless you are using it to compare two TVs in the same image,
in which case you can probably tell something about their differences).

> Clearly, your Raspberry Pi OS in Virtual Box cannot be faster than the
> host OS since it is using the host OS.
>
> Perhaps this is what's going on:
>
> - modern Linux desktops use 3D accelerated compositing
>
> - Hasell iGPUs are weak at 3D
>
> - Raspberry Pi OS avoids this.
>
> So:
>
> Switch your PC to another Desktop Environment that doesn't do this
> heavy compositing.  Which ones?  I don't know, but there are a
> million.  debian supports a whole bunch, I think.  XFCE?

I use XFCE a lot.  Nice and simple and lightweight.  Gets the job done.

> I had a few SSDs fail in early the days.  None recently.
>
> When they fail, they tend to fail suddenly and hard.  But then again
> HDDs can fail that way too.
>
> From my early experiences, I organize my desktop this way:
> / on SSD
> /home ond HDD.
>
> That way, a broken SSD is no problem: just replace and install a new
> OS.

If it is important, I run RAID1 of SSDs.  Then if it fails, you replace
it, and life goes on.  But other than the OCZ vertex 3 drives I got
initially years ago, I haven't had SSDs fail on me so far.  I am sure
they will at some point.  For large storage I still use harddisks
(currently 9x4TB WD Red Plus drives in RAID6) and my mythtv front end
still runs a pair of 500GB WD blue's in RAID1, and my laptop has 1 1TB
HD and 1TB SSD, so I have a few harddisks around, but most machines are
mainly SSD now.

--
Len Sorensen