[GTALUG] Raspberry Pi

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 09:59:23 EST 2021

Hi Aruna.

On Wed, 3 Mar 2021 at 21:56, Aruna Hewapathirane via talk
<talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> Hi Mat, many thanks and the more ram it has on board the better. This is strictly
> for my own experimenting and learn by doing stuff. So any Pi will do to start off with I guess.
>
> I am hoping to go down the embedded linux rabbit hole. I have been messing around
> with arduino for a while now and  I guess it is now time to move on to something a little
> easier to compile and test a linux kernel on :-)
>
> I am also very interested in seeing if a Pi can replace my ancient desktop. I simply can't
> afford the Pi-4 desktop version with the dual monitor setup so thought I will ask and see if
> anyone has a spare.
>
> On Wed, Mar 3, 2021 at 9:38 PM Matt Price <moptop99 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I might have one, what generation do you need and what's the application?
>>
>> On Wed., Mar. 3, 2021, 9:06 p.m. Aruna Hewapathirane via talk, <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Does anyone have a Raspberry Pi lying around you no longer need ?
>>>
>>> Thanks - Aruna

The Pi 2 and Pi 3 come with 1G of memory, end of story.  Don't use a
Pi 1 - there are too many issues and they (some or all, can't
remember) don't have 1G of memory.  The only ones with more than 1G
are the recent Pi 4 series - and the ones with more than 1G all cost
more money.  The Pi 4 is also the only series with USB3.  They're the
newest and the best and as such, people aren't likely to be giving
them away yet(?).

I'm using a Pi 4 with 8G as a secondary desktop, and have been finding
it quite useful.  Mind you, I'm not using it for Gimp photo editing -
but I do use it for web browsing (not a lightweight activity) and it
handles that well.  I think you would find any of the 1G models
unsatisfactory as a desktop replacement: I wouldn't think about it
until it had 4G RAM, and I'd prefer the 8G.

If you want to learn about using a Pi - go to it.  But if you want a
desktop replacement ... I'm afraid you need the one you've said you
can't afford.  Sorry.

Something worth noting is that you need a good USB power supply.  Most
USB chargers _don't_ cut it: the Pi will be constantly telling you
it's undervoltage.  That's a long conversation of itself, but the main
point is you may have another cost on your hands.  And of course
you'll need a microSD card for the OS.

--
Giles
https://www.gilesorr.com/