[GTALUG] Raspberry Pi

mwilson at Vex.Net mwilson at Vex.Net
Thu Mar 4 10:58:26 EST 2021

"Giles Orr" <gilesorr at gmail.com> said:
> Hi Aruna.
>
> On Wed, 3 Mar 2021 at 21:56, Aruna Hewapathirane via talk
> <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
[ ... ]
>> I am also very interested in seeing if a Pi can replace my ancient
>> desktop. I simply can't
>> afford the Pi-4 desktop version with the dual monitor setup so thought I
>> will ask and see if
>> anyone has a spare.
>[ ... ]
> I'm using a Pi 4 with 8G as a secondary desktop, and have been finding
> it quite useful.  Mind you, I'm not using it for Gimp photo editing -
> but I do use it for web browsing (not a lightweight activity) and it
> handles that well.  I think you would find any of the 1G models
> unsatisfactory as a desktop replacement: I wouldn't think about it
> until it had 4G RAM, and I'd prefer the 8G.

Memory might not be horribly tight.  I'm running a session now with half a
dozen Image Viewer instances (~ 1Mpixel each), a Gimp instance with a
half-dozen 2..3MByte .xcf's, and Firefox with a commercial page and this
SquirrelMail page, and memory usage just cracked 1040MB, according to Task
Manager.  Most data is on a USB hard drive, but that shouldn't matter.
A 4GB Pi might be roomy, for a modest workload.