[GTALUG] [ Audacity Becomes Spyware (fwd)

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 11:14:51 EDT 2021

On 2021-07-06 10:38 a.m., D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> I wonder if this change will get Audacity dropped from some distros.
> Naively, I'd think that at least Debian and Fedora would have qualms.

Debian has no problem about removing tracking code from packages. But
what sort of timeline that will happen in, I don't know.

> Of course the first job is to come up with a new name.  Shorter is good.

I've got a soft spot for Chutzpah, but that's really what Muse should
call theirs.

I'm trying to remember the sound editor I used to used before Audacity
(even pre-1.0). I seem to remember it being adequate, but it suffered
from UX so crude that even the first clunky versions of Audacity seemed
like a lot more fun.

cheers,
 Stewart