[GTALUG] [ Audacity Becomes Spyware (fwd)

D. Joe gtalug at etrumeus.com
Tue Jul 6 11:35:34 EDT 2021

On Tue, Jul 06, 2021 at 11:14:51AM -0400, Stewart C. Russell via talk wrote:
> On 2021-07-06 10:38 a.m., D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> > I wonder if this change will get Audacity dropped from some distros.
> > Naively, I'd think that at least Debian and Fedora would have qualms.
>
> Debian has no problem about removing tracking code from packages. But
> what sort of timeline that will happen in, I don't know.
>
> > Of course the first job is to come up with a new name.  Shorter is good.

My long standing appreciation for the curatorial work distro developers and maintainers do has tempered my distress at Muse's move here: On the desktop and laptop, if there's a reasonably functioning version available in their repos, that's what I'm going to use. For most things, the time constant of their process helps filter things like this out.

I'll use the version that's already there for now (for what little use of it I might make, which historically has been not a lot) and we'll see how it goes.

But yes, that said, the name seems like it would be the biggest issue since this legalistic turn Muse has taken includes being explicit about having a trademark on the name and a policy against variants using it.

--
D. Joe