[GTALUG] [ Audacity Becomes Spyware (fwd)

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Tue Jul 6 10:38:30 EDT 2021

I wonder if this change will get Audacity dropped from some distros.
Naively, I'd think that at least Debain and Fedora would have qualms.

| From: Stewart C. Russell via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| Audacity is GPL 2. It could be forked.

I guess it should be forked.

On github, there are 1.6k forks already.
Just in case, I added one: https://github.com/HughR/audacity

I have made no changes.  In particular, I haven't even searched for
undesireable code.

I have no idea if creating a fork prevents the tree from being
withdrawn.

It would be good to figure out which fork to back and where a new
community might form.

Of course the first job is to come up with a new name.  Shorter is good.
Auditor?  Oh wait, that has a pretty settled meaning.  "The Aud"?  That
was the nickname of the Buffalo Memorial Auditorium (demolished in 2009).