[GTALUG] Linus Torvalds Responds to Linux Banning University of Minnesota

Aruna Hewapathirane aruna.hewapathirane at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 11:33:49 EDT 2021

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 10:03 AM El Fontanero via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> On 2021-04-25 2:27 p.m., Alvin Starr via talk wrote:
>
> On 4/25/21 1:46 PM, Aruna Hewapathirane via talk wrote:
>
> On Sun, Apr 25, 2021 at 12:46 PM Ansar Mohammed via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
> wrote:
>
>> I know some people may think this is an over-reaction. But FWIW, I agree
>> with the Zero Tolerance approach.
>>
> Zero Tolerance allows one to live. They need to be shot !
>
> How about something like a go-fund-me kind of service that distributes the
> money to the successful contract killer?
>
> I am sure something can be done over a blockchain.
>
> If we could add in spammers I would be most happy.
>
> Absolutely nauseating.  Shocking and horrifying.

Did you follow this thread from the very beginning ? If you did you would
have seen my first thoughts were:

"I am torn two ways. My heart says shoot them. My brain says hire them ?
Sigh..."

That being clarified interpretation of what is said ( in this case what was
written ) may not necessarily be correct from what was meant and intended ?
No one advocated for what you
suggested and I personally find the term distasteful. Let me give you a
clear and precise example so there is no doubt. When I said They need to be
shot, you interpreted that in a manner
that suggests death ? What if I exercise my freedom of choice and opinion
and say but sir no-no I was saying they should be shot with the covid-19
vaccine ? See what I mean ?

What is said or what is written and how it may be perceived or understood
is relative. Yes I still say shoot them but if you really think I am going
to grab a gun or firearm and go after
them you need professional help. Most of us in the 'community' are
committed and hard working volunteers who do what we do because we believe
in open source and the multitude
of benefits that come with it so I for one was very pisssed when I heard
about this and said what I did but at no time do I wish any harm to anyone.
I was angry and was letting out steam.
Likewise Alvin said something in jest he was never serious.

What is Absolutely nauseating and  Shocking and horrifying is the fact that
two PhD students from a highly respected academic research institute would
do this. Linux if you did not know now
runs on most everything under the sun. Imagine this 'bug' or
'vulnerability' is exploited and the system is on a motor vehicle that is
on the 401 or  even better 407 express way ? What do you think
will happen to the person driving when the control systems and mechanisms
fail ? Is that not murder ? Likewise many hospitals use linux based systems
for support and analysis imagine what would happen
if a patient on a ventilator has a bug hit ? What would you call that ?

What is Absolutely nauseating.  Shocking and horrifying is what some folk
will do for personal gain and recognition with absolute and utter disregard
for possible negative impacts from
their actions on the entire community.

> "Zero tolerance" means at the very least, that advocating murder is cause
> for immediate and permanent banning from this list, is it not?

It would be so easy to ban someone. What is much more difficult to do is to
engage them, inform and educate them and hopefully affect behaviour change
that results in
actions that benefit the community.

>>No, Toronto does not have the prevalence of firearms in the hands of
people who casually say they want people shot or the people who casually
agree with them, but our cousins to the south are an extremely >>important
lesson that we do not want to emulate.
In 2018 which is 3 years back we had a higher homicide rate than New York.
And we have more guns and weapons than you think. Ask yourself how many get
shot on a daily basis here ? Wake up to reality my friend. Do some
searching on Google :-) Here have a loook:
https://www.blogto.com/city/2018/06/toronto-homicide-rate-now-higher-new-york/

Anyway I am moving on from this discussion. I felt it needed to be shared
that is why I sent out the original email. If I said anything at anytime
that has made anyone uncomfortable
or think this man is advocating for and inciting sudden death I offer my
humble and sincere apologies at no time was that the intention and no
matter how mad or upset I may be will never
be that simply because I do not prescribe to any acts of violence -
period..

Peace to you all - Aruna