[GTALUG] Linus Torvalds Responds to Linux Banning University of Minnesota

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 14:39:56 EDT 2021

On 2021-04-25 1:46 p.m., Aruna Hewapathirane via talk wrote:

> Zero Tolerance allows one to live. They need to be shot !

Please don't make death threats on the mailing list. They are people who
are researchers who made some ill-advised decisions, nothing more.

The most worrying aspect for me is that the academic supervisor got the
study exempted from an IRB review. IRBs review any research that
involves human subjects and are supposed to filter out research that
could be unethical or exploitative. Now that this affair is all public,
UMN has called a halt to this reseearch and their IRB has deemed that
the work should have been reviewed by them all along.

I don't believe the rumours that the supervisor never submitted the
research proposal to the IRB. I'm more concerned about how the
supervisor may have attempted to get around the IRB for this (now) very
obvious piece of social engineering.

cheers,
 Stewart