[GTALUG] ot: headphone jac replacement?

Don Tai dontai.canada at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 20:04:17 EDT 2021

A headphone jack usually has left and right channels, plus a ground, so
only 3 wires.

You will need to take the device cover off, determine if one of the
connections is loose/cracked. If the connection is loose or cracked then
you resolder the joint and you're done. Check the connection with a
multimeter. If the plug is worn out you will need to unsolder the 3
connections, remove the old (may be physically attached to the board/cover,
reinstall the new plug to the board/cover, resolder the 3 wires, check
connectivity with a multimeter.

You will need:
-tools to remove the cover: screwdrivers of all sorts, pry tool, depending
on the cover. it does vary a lot
-soldering iron, solder
-replacement 3.5mm audio plug
-multimeter: to check if the soldered joint is electrically connective.

That's it.
Don.