[GTALUG] Surveillance Capitalism [was another thread]

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 22:45:31 EDT 2021

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021, 10:13 PM Alvin Starr via talk, <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> On 4/2/21 2:29 PM, Russell Reiter via talk wrote:
>
> Red Hat has just dropped its Free Software Foundation funding and support.
>
> Now that Red Hat is pretty well owned by IBM, wouldn't you like to ask all
> those people, how far back in IBM's own history of misdeeds;
> notwithstanding rumors, innuendo and just plain gossip; the rest of us
> should look when judging the actions of  others.
>
> I sure would.
>
> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_and_the_Holocaust
>
> Stallman was outspoken about surveillance capitalisim and WSL. Those are
> big cages to rattle with one tiny tin cup.
>
> Just in case you don't think an NGO is capable of such insider
> machinations. I highly recommend the following book which has a pretty good
> evaluation of how the powers that be; leveraged trends, NGO (charity)
> connections and industry (read IBM) influences which gave Bill Gates his
> silver spoon running head start with MS DOS.
>
> https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2760759-the-making-of-microsoft
>
> Don't even get me started on WSL as an organized plan to disrupt linux
> freedom.
>
> Engage Encompass and Eradicate are proven techniques of imperialism and
> capitalisim.
>
> I think Red Hats "Woke Spoke" is Broke on this one, but with all that IBM
> money behind them, they will break this one guy out of the big picture,
> just because they can.
>

> Russell
>

> I may just be thick but I don't see what any of the above has to do with
> Surveillance Capitalism.
>
> Or at least my understanding of Surveillance Capitalism that can be
> described by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surveillance_capitalism

Heres Richard Stallman on open source surveillance capitalisim eight years
ago.

https://youtu.be/CP8CNp-vksc

> And for the life of me I can't see what any of this has to do with
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Surf_League.

Heres an article on WSL - Windows Subsystem for Linux but I understand your
confusion.

https://fossbytes.com/richard-stallman-microsoft-linux-love-will-hurt-free-open-source-software/amp/

I guess the entire thread is about protecting the right to engage free
speach and the cost to individuals who go against the populist notions
which are propigated by powerful organizations and their associate
influencers.

At least thats my take on these current events as they relate to linux
topicality.