[GTALUG] Surveillance Capitalism [was another thread]

ac ac at main.me
Sat Apr 3 03:53:09 EDT 2021

On Fri, 2 Apr 2021 22:45:31 -0400 Russell Reiter via talk
<talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 2, 2021, 10:13 PM Alvin Starr via talk, <talk at gtalug.org>
> wrote:
>
> > On 4/2/21 2:29 PM, Russell Reiter via talk wrote:
> >
> > Red Hat has just dropped its Free Software Foundation funding and
> > support.
> >
> > Now that Red Hat is pretty well owned by IBM, wouldn't you like to
> > ask all those people, how far back in IBM's own history of misdeeds;
> > notwithstanding rumors, innuendo and just plain gossip; the rest of
> > us should look when judging the actions of  others.
> >
> > I sure would.
> >
> > https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_and_the_Holocaust
> >
> > Stallman was outspoken about surveillance capitalisim and WSL.
> > Those are big cages to rattle with one tiny tin cup.
> >
> > Just in case you don't think an NGO is capable of such insider
> > machinations. I highly recommend the following book which has a
> > pretty good evaluation of how the powers that be; leveraged trends,
> > NGO (charity) connections and industry (read IBM) influences which
> > gave Bill Gates his silver spoon running head start with MS DOS.
> >
> > https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2760759-the-making-of-microsoft
> >
> > Don't even get me started on WSL as an organized plan to disrupt
> > linux freedom.
> >
> > Engage Encompass and Eradicate are proven techniques of imperialism
> > and capitalisim.
> >
> > I think Red Hats "Woke Spoke" is Broke on this one, but with all
> > that IBM money behind them, they will break this one guy out of the
> > big picture, just because they can.
> >

> > Russell
> >

> > I may just be thick but I don't see what any of the above has to do
> > with Surveillance Capitalism.
> >
> > Or at least my understanding of Surveillance Capitalism that can be
> > described by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surveillance_capitalism
> >
> Heres Richard Stallman on open source surveillance capitalisim eight
> years ago.
>
> https://youtu.be/CP8CNp-vksc
>
> > And for the life of me I can't see what any of this has to do with
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Surf_League.
> >
> Heres an article on WSL - Windows Subsystem for Linux but I
> understand your confusion.
>
> https://fossbytes.com/richard-stallman-microsoft-linux-love-will-hurt-free-open-source-software/amp/
>
> I guess the entire thread is about protecting the right to engage free
> speach and the cost to individuals who go against the populist notions
> which are propigated by powerful organizations and their associate
> influencers.
>
> At least thats my take on these current events as they relate to linux
> topicality.

this is/was a interesting thread to read and some can do better at
mastering SQW3R or variants thereof, even if only for noise reduction
purposes. Just to profligate on the bits, I too will venture and opine from
my hallowed tower (just off Route 209) and remark:

the source code is the pudding where truth is naked and facts are proven.

but I do not deep dive into the ocean (for oysters) and I am not a pig
farmer, so I guess I will close and settle for something circular and
more cowardly, maybe like: it is what it is.