[GTALUG] Surveillance Capitalism [was another thread]

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Fri Apr 2 22:13:04 EDT 2021

On 4/2/21 2:29 PM, Russell Reiter via talk wrote:
> Red Hat has just dropped its Free Software Foundation funding and
> support.
>
> Now that Red Hat is pretty well owned by IBM, wouldn't you like to ask
> all those people, how far back in IBM's own history of misdeeds;
> notwithstanding rumors, innuendo and just plain gossip; the rest of us
> should look when judging the actions of  others.
>
> I sure would.
>
> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_and_the_Holocaust
> <https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_and_the_Holocaust>
>
> Stallman was outspoken about surveillance capitalisim and WSL. Those
> are big cages to rattle with one tiny tin cup.
>
> Just in case you don't think an NGO is capable of such insider
> machinations. I highly recommend the following book which has a pretty
> good evaluation of how the powers that be; leveraged trends, NGO
> (charity) connections and industry (read IBM) influences which gave
> Bill Gates his silver spoon running head start with MS DOS.
>
> https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2760759-the-making-of-microsoft
> <https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2760759-the-making-of-microsoft>
>
> Don't even get me started on WSL as an organized plan to disrupt linux
> freedom.
>
> Engage Encompass and Eradicate are proven techniques of imperialism
> and capitalisim.
>
> I think Red Hats "Woke Spoke" is Broke on this one, but with all that
> IBM money behind them, they will break this one guy out of the big
> picture, just because they can.
>

> Russell

I may just be thick but I don't see what any of the above has to do with
Surveillance Capitalism.

Or at least my understanding of Surveillance Capitalism that can be
described by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surveillance_capitalism

And for the life of me I can't see what any of this has to do with
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Surf_League.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (647)478-6285
alvin at netvel.net              ||